Friday, December 17, 2010

Kiki’s Adventure

Meet Kiki…

IMG_7174

It was adoration-at-first-sight for Anthony. Out of the hundreds and thousands of things displayed along Bangkok Chinatown’s Sam Paeng Lane, Anthony spotted this little 8-cm creature. Must be his little black beady eyes and really cute smiling face.

“I want to buy this for Conrad (his favourite Monkey, see pictures below). He needs a pet. Please, Mommy?” said Anthony. 

“How much ?” I asked the store vendor.

“20 baht,” she said.

“Cheaper, can?” It was just instinct to ask, just in case we ended up overpaying.

“10 baht, 10 baht,” she said, starting to put it in a bag. Wow, half the opening price, good deal..

“OK can… no need bag,” I said, quickly passing her the cash. Anthony had already grabbed it and was looking for Audrey in the crowds to show off his new-found friend. It only struck me after that 20baht is less than 5 singapore cents ?! Should’ve bought ten more…..

When we got back to the apartment at Fraser Suites, the 4 of them had a wild time playing together all night… 

IMG_7170IMG_7171IMG_7172

The next morning, I was in the shower when I suddenly heard the kids’ loud cry for help: “Mummy! Mummy! Help!! Kiki’s head is falling off! Help! Help!” As I thought someone had said “Di-di”, as in Little Bro, ie. Anthony, I leapt out of the shower as quickly as I could… And saw both of them fawning over Kiki. I was of course relieved it wasn’t Anthony. With boys, it’s hard to say what trouble they can get into… head falling off and all.

Well, turned out the thread had come loose and indeed Kiki’s head was falling off. They looked seriously distressed – this had never happened to any of their toys before. I guess at 10baht/5cents, it’s hard to demand they provide more quality control!? I packed him up and promised to fix him when we got back to Singapore. 

IMG_7179

Well, all’s well that ends well…… took just a couple of stitches and Kiki was whole again. PHEW!

IMG_7173

**********

3 comments:

  1. Adoiiiii...Ada ah...20 baht is about 90cents lah. So 10 baht is 45 cents!! No wonder I couldn't find the Oilily bags at the cheap price you told me. You are a terrible terrible shopper! Onn Yue should keep your credit cards :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahahahaahaha, methinks now you spent more than you think you did!!! I too was wondering, isn't it 45cts??

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alamaaak, you are right, LOL!! Well, the good news is I didn't end up buying a box of Kikis. The bad news is I should've bought more Oilily bags! Seriously, they actually ended up costing a lot less (approx S$85 each). I think something got lost my double conversion as the very helpful salesgirl had converted to USD because she had no idea the SGD exchange rate! Also there was the additional 40% before 30 November which probably was gone by the time you got there! They're usually between GBP60 (outlet) to GBP150 (new season) online (excl postage!!)... You should seriously check out their latest collection!!! :D

    Btw, I still can't get my Comment alerts to work...sigh!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...